A Family favourite (if your family eats tuna of course!) and straight from the pantry.Tuna Mornay
- 1 x 425 gram tin Tuna , (in spring water or brine NOT oil)
- 60 g or 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- cayenne pepper & black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 stock cube or 1 teaspoon of stock powder
- 4 spring onions, chopped finely
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen are fine and easier)
- 2 cups milk
- grated cheese
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Take the pan off the heat while you stir in the flour, peppers and mustard powder. Put the pan back on the heat and cook the flour and butter mixture for 1 minute, taking care not to burn it. Take the pan off the heat again while you add the milk. Stir over low heat while the mixture (a béchamel) thickens. Once it has take it off the heat and stir in the tuna, spring onions, corn and stock powder or crumbled cube.
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish and cover the top with breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Pop into the oven (uncovered) for 20-30 minutes until the onions are soft and the topping is crunchy. Serve with creamy mashed potato and steamed greens.
Note: Other vegetables can be added to this. The sauce also makes a great base for other mornays, the chicken and asparagus variation is yummy!