Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A word to the wise . . . .

When baking, if a recipe calls for stiffly beaten egg whites to help make to make it light and fluffy:
  • Do not cheat! 
  • Do not experiment with a recipe that you know works, when you are time poor and have a 40+ cupcakes to bake for a birthday!
  • Do not think that you know bwtter than Martha Stewart and her esteemed guests.
  • Do not, I repeat, do not expect this to work as a substitute for fresh egg whites.

Now I'm sure it makes a perfectly lovely pavlova. The mixture was thick and glossy, but it certainly didn't work in this capacity . . . for me anyway. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the humid weather. I don't know, but this is how they turned out:


I know what you're thinking . . . "Just fill that ridiculously huge sink-hole with frosting and no one will ever know!" right? Believe me folks, there ain't enough frosting in the world to fill these craters :(

So methinks it is off to Woolies for a pack of these for the birthday boy to take to class on Thursday.


No comments: