|No, not reallly seasonally appropriate I know. But a recent facebook discussion on favourite chicken thigh recipes has prompted me to share this one. You see I have trawlled allover cyberspace, and can't find a link for it anywhere, so I have created my own. You asked for it Yvette - you got it :)|
Creamy Chicken, Leek & Blue Cheese Pie
A real winter warmer. Rich, creamy and delicious.
1. Preheat oven to hot (200℃). Place short crust pastry sheets next to each other on a lightly floured surface, with edges overlapping. Join together by rolling overlapped edges with a rolling pin. Gently ease pastry into a 6 cup capacity pie/baking dish, allowing to overhang. Chill for 20 minutes. Bake for 5 minutes
2. While chilling pastry, heat oil in a frying pan on high. Sauté chicken in batches seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
3. Melt butter in same pan on high. Sauté leek for 5-10 minutes until caramelised. Add the mushroom and thyme and sauté for 5-10 minutes until mushroom is tender.
4. In a jug, blend cream and flour together. Blend into leek mixture with cheese. Season to taste. Bring to the boil on high, stirring. Add chicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer for three minutes. Cool.
5. Pour mixture into pre-baked pastry case. Cover with puff pastry and press down edges firmly. Trim excess. Press a fork around edges to seal.
6. Brush pastry with egg. Make a small hole in centre of pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry has risen and is golden brown. Serve with mashed potatoes and peas or other vegetables of choice.
If you like a stronger blue cheese taste, use the whole 90g packet of creamy blue cheese. Alternatively if blue cheese isn't your thing, try camembert, brie or any other soft and crumbly cheese.
Print Friendly Version